7.22.2005

"There's a storm comin' through and it's going to be a good one."

We were playing our own style of telephone, warning each other of the darkening skies outside. "Looks like it's going to rain" turned into "It's going to rain" into "It's about to rain" into "Big storm about to unleash havoc on powerlines, hills and streets everywhere."

Fine, it was actually just "Be sure your car windows are rolled up." But if you read between the lines, the predictions for calamity were definitely implied.

By the time the warnings reached me, thunder was beginning to rumble in the distance, even through the walls and floors of my building. Everyone else hunkered down in their seats while I grabbed my bag and headed to the door. I wanted to see if I could catch a few moments outside before the sky opened up.

I love the strange light and feel to the outdoors as a thunderstorm rolls in. Familiar environments take on a different sheen - as if bathed in flourescent lighting - and the sky visibly struggles between light and dark. Clouds above move faster, less defined in their shapes. The air, still humid, tries to grab at your skin before the rain-leading breeze tears it away.

And then there's the thunder, alternating between rumbles and cracks, forming an ever-quickening tempo that sends pedestrians scurrying for cover. Apartment, shop, restaurant, car - it doesn't matter where people wind up as long as it is Out of the Rain. The sound tries to convince everyone that it is menacing, intimidating - I wind up doing my best to call it's bluff. The lightning is what one looks out for. The thunder is the powerless lackey behind the lightning, trying to bully everyone else.

I walked across the street and around the corner, passing two acquaintances walking quickly in the other direction. They gave quick smiles and one looked confused to see me walking away from what apparently should have been my destination.

"Better hurry, you don't want to get caught out here in the rain, right?"

I shrugged. "I'll make it. But yeah, this storm looks like it's going to be a good one."
---------
In other, related news. I hate to seem as if I'm trying to spoil everyone else's weekend, but part of me is hoping this weather continues through the weekend. I had to put on my jacket this afternoon because the temperature dipped below 70 and enjoyed the sensation of actually feeling a chill in the air.

Besides, there's nothing like rainy skies and perhaps a little thunder to serve as a perfect backdrop for my weekend-long hot date with a 16-year-old wizard.

You know what I'm talking about. Rawr!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly isn't chilly here. Enjoy your 16 year old!!

Victoria said...

Are you who I think you are? And, if so, how the did you get online?!?

I did enjoy the 16-year-old wizard. Fellow kept me up late and nearly wore me out before I was finished with him...