7.08.2005

Glen3

Mother Nature cooperated. The rain held off.

We all needed a good evening by the time the sun began to set Thursday. Two of us had had long, frustrating weeks marked by tears and exasperation. Another had endured a rocky return from vacation. A fourth was nursing a hangover; the fifth wanted to see get out and experience a new summer experience.

The group assembled on blankets near the front of the lawn. We partook in chips and salsa, fresh fruit, chocolate-covered pretzels. The three paper cups of red wine went to my head.

I sat on one of the blankets, happily buzzed, and softly sang along to Glen Phillips as he performed against a sky backdrop slipping toward sunset.

We'd all been looking forward to the soft-spoken singer-songwriter, whether we had seen him perform before or not. I spent much of my day - that is, the time when I wasn't greeting acquaintances and friends with "Happy Glen Phillips Day!" - thinking of a February night four years ago, when I sat with a smile that widened as I was further introduced to Glen's solo material.

The grin came back as soon as I sat down. Even the promise of seeing him live again made me giddy with excitement. We quickly fell into the practice of singing along to the songs we knew as Tracy Bonham opened.

Our enthusiasm was noted - Tracy playfully pointed her bow at us as we sang along and rocked our heads to "Mother, Mother." Yes, Tracy, we'd screamed along to these words when they came through radio speakers. We know what you're talking about. Thanks for dusting the song off.

And when Glen walked on stage, we sat up. Straight spines that soon curved into gentle leans back as his folky voice filled the evening air. Sigh. So damn good. Why did I wait four years to see him again?

A little more wine? Yes, please.

And, several bits of other news/commentary:

- Never underestimate the spirit boost you can provide with a simple remark. This morning, I walked about in lingering sleepiness - I had absolutely no desire to wake this morning and actually did so much earlier than normal - but felt suddenly more awake and happier when a coworker remarked that I looked great today and asked if I've been working out. As a matter of fact, I have, and am getting hooked again on the endorphin high that comes with running. That the results were spotted by another serves as icing on the cake and suddenly made my morning all that much better.

- I am hooked on Julian Velard's collaboration with the Ryan Montbleau Band on "Use Me." Want to listen? You know you do. Check it here - go to "August."

- Great, great, great editorial in the Times yesterday that I meant to remark on before writing my terrorism rant. This captures all of the annoyance and frustration I have felt while following the Novak/Miller/Cooper situation as it has unfolded.

We do not see how a newspaper, magazine or television station can support a reporter's decision to protect confidential sources even if the potential price is lost liberty, and then hand over the notes or documents that make the reporter's sacrifice meaningless. The point of this struggle is to make sure that people with critical information can feel confident that if they speak to a reporter on the condition of anonymity, their identities will be protected. No journalist's promise will be worth much if the employer that stands behind him or her is prepared to undercut such a vow of secrecy...

...We stand with Ms. Miller and thank her for taking on that fight for the rest of us.

As do I.

(As is generally the case when a photo is included in a post, more are available at the Flickr. Click on the photo. More from the show will be added when I return from Massachusetts - and my first Dave Matthews Band concert in several summers.)

No comments: