7.19.2005

"No, I didn't hear a word..."

When one's flatmates embark on a journey that will keep them from one's flat for a week, one is naturally unsettled by the silence.

What do I decide to do at 11 at night? Check out the first listen option at VH1 and take an early listen to "Mr. A-Z." B and C may be gone, but I can fill the space with J sound and dance with abandon if I feel so inclined.

I'm going to be very curious to see how this album is received.

This will require some listens before I even begin to formulate the beginning of an opinion.

But one thing that jumps out? One of my favorite songs from the Curbside was "Plane." When he sang the "Flax seeds, well they tear me open and supposedly you can crawl right through me" live, he'd drop the melody down about an octave and I'd get shivers because it was so quietly intense. He brings it up for the album version, which is a pity. But on the flipside, the build at the end of the album and the accompanying wail? Pretty incredible.

Kind of got shivers hearing that note sustained.

No comments: