5.25.2004

office exile

status check - focused
background ambiance - office, but i must tune it out

if i make it through this week, i must celebrate in some manner. i'm swamped with work (which makes for a productive me) and i'm off limits to daily work for the week. that is, i'm working on the projects i must work on and am not supposed to think about anything else. i don't care if a 747 crashes on church street - i'm in the zone.

but before i put on my blinders to the outside world, some lyrics i'm digging. courtesy of ms. toby lightman. consider it my plagarized rebuttal to "for better or worse," in an if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now sort of way.

don't wanna know

you're no less than perfect
but you're much more than real
you're untouchable
how does it make you feel

and i'm waiting in line to be near you
and i can't believe my eyes
the kisses are all blown to you every time

chorus:
but i'd rather leave you
than see through the fantasy
and i'd rather stay shy and get high
on what could be
i don't wanna know what you do, where you go
i don't wanna know, who you really are

a glistening smile
a twinkle in your eye
well i can smile like that
just give me a try

and i've traveled around just to hear you
and your songs don't leave my mind
so tell me what should i do
to get you to say hi

[chorus]

and i've traveled around just to hear you
and your songs don't leave my mind
so tell me what should i do

[chorus]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

7/11 boston, ma fleet boston pavilion (set order: rufus, guster, ben)

Victoria said...

rufus is going FIRST???? wow - i suppose that makes sense, in a general fandom sort of way, but i'm surprised nonetheless.

good god, i cannot WAIT for that show. i'm going to be in heaven.

Anonymous said...

they are rotating for every show. but i am happy he is going first. =)

Victoria said...

ben last is going to rock the proverbial casbah. it'll be so strange, seeing him live - not on several voicemails (just wait til you get to mraz, you'll be lost).

speaking of which - remind me to mention an idea when i get home. i forgot to include it in email.

Anonymous said...

mention an idea when you get home.

Anonymous said...

Vickie! When is your Rufus/Ben/Guster show? Mine isn't till the end of June, but I can't wait. I'm so excited for you to finally see Rufus live. I can't wait to hear your speechlessness. Yeah, I realize that doesn't make sense, but you'll see. I hope he doesn't let you (and me) down after all of my hype.
Anyway, it's funny that you posted the lyrics to my favorite song (so far) from the Toby Lightman record. It's good, but I don't LOVE it. She sounds like a less latina Shakira to me. It's good, fun music, just not full of greatness.
Anyway, my mouth is starting to feel a little better (Knock on wood) and I see Mraz tomorrow night. Be ready for a call!
Love,
Paul

Victoria said...

hullo peeps! michelle - i laughed, in a bittersweet sort of way, when listening to the lyrics ... i still want to know the circumstances behind the other lyrics, in my own slightly-selfish way. haha. and i've downloaded part of the mraz show the following night - i have opera!

paul! you'll be seeing him before i do - my show isn't until mid-july. i checked, though, and we have the same lineup (rufus, guster, ben) for both of our shows. i'm going to be singing along and carrying on for the entire concert.

what i would give to be able to magically hop in my private jet and get down to dc for tomorrow night! i was thinking about it yesterday and smiled - the basis of the tour, j has said, came partly from seeing what jewel's been able to do with her tours ... and considering you saw jewel (and, for the first time, mraz) at dar, seeing him there tomorrow will be this funny sort of full circle deal. i hope it's as good a show as boston (although i'm sure it will be) - and i hope the crowd behaves (not so sure about this one, but the performance will make up for it!).

love for all - and apologies to my flatmate for not waking up this morning - i'm still on recovery mode from the weekend, i fear!

Anonymous said...

I still have a second (un-spoken for) ticket to Mraz tomorrow too. I wish you could go. I kept thinking about who I would want to take and never decided on anyone. I wish you could come. That would make my millenium. At this rate it may be too late to find anyone to go at all, which sucks. I don't mind seeing him by myself, but I wish I hadn't spent the extra money.
Paul

Victoria said...

oh you are evil. because now i am going to be sulking around all day tomorrow - particularly tomorrow night. you have no idea what i would give to be able to go to a mraz show with you.

you can't tell me these things!!!

i'll be thinking of you, at least ...

*perma-pout begins*