5.27.2004

extra, extra

status check - embarrassingly delighted
background ambiance - office

i may not have yet traveled around the country as much as i would like, but at least one of my stories has - kind of.

beth mentioned yesterday that she came across an ap-processed version of my movie theater wedding story in a different area paper. while having things from my paper put on the ap is pretty common practice, it was the first time i was made aware of the fact that something i'd reported on went up on the wire.

so i decided to dig around, see if it was anywhere else. and i was ridiculously pleased by the results.

the ap version of the wedding story popped up on news websites in (in no particular order): north carolina, ohio, florida, texas, new mexico, arizona, nebraska, hawaii, nevada, indiana, oklahoma, colorado, georgia, washington (state), kentucky, alabama, missouri, illinois, louisiana, minnesota, new york, and, to my utmost delight, california.

and fox news, but i'm not overly proud of that one.

i should note, however, that the condensed version ala ap features a lede i'd briefly thought about using. but i wound up passing on it so as to not seem overly cliched. and there are some other painful cliches that were added so as to condense the piece into newsbyte size.

nevertheless, i thought it was rather nifty.

here's a link to one of the ap reports - found on a san diego news site. at least part of me has reached that city!

***edit: please note the more complete version of the story (albeit still not entire), found in the boston globe. i'm such a dork sometimes.***


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THat is so friggin cool.

~John

Anonymous said...

Now I think you should plan a vacation visiting all the sights your story did. I find it funny that story got so much coverage...wow.

I hope your work day is going well. I wish we were still outside.

Victoria said...

i would love to be outside right now, too. perhaps i'll take a quick sanity break.

ooh, i like that idea. who shall by my travel companion? i say we start out west, work our way in. hawaii, here we come.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a plan...i wonder if the ap would run a story about girls who follow the path of an ap story???

Victoria said...

probably - hell, great promotion for the ap peeps. the important question is this: would they fund it as a research project? we could go to the places and find out if people actually read it. if so, what they thought of it.

i think we're onto something ...

Anonymous said...

Hey There - Its me again. From way back to the when the wedding story originally hit the paper. I know I said I was going to get a name but hey I have been a bit lazy or overly busy at work. Whichever works. :) Anyways in case you are not sure who I be I am the grocery store night guy. Glad to hear that your story has made so many successes around the country. Thats pretty cool when your work becomes famous. Who knows how many phone calls you will get now from NY or LA Times etc. :) Sounds like you had a blast in Bean town this past few days. Hope it isnt too much of a downer to be back home. The Sox are suffering right now. Down 3-0 at the end of the top 1st so hopefully you are cheering them on. Looks like they need it tonight! Smile its good for you. MC