4.01.2005

Per tradition...

Oh what a shame that your
pockets did bleed on St. Valentine's
And you sat in a chair thinking
"Boy I'm such a Prince!"
Well life's a train that goes
from February on day by day
But its making a stop on April First

And you will believe in love
And all that its supposed to be
But just until the fish start to smell
And you're struck down by a hammer...


This morning, as I drove downtown, same as always, I waited behind several cars preparing to turn. A SUV approached and, I noticed with shock, a large white dog with a shaggy coat was more than half hanging out a rear passenger window. Its legs were pumping and, I realized, it was in the process of climbing/jumping OUT OF THE MOVING CAR. And it was attached to a long red leash.

It finally fell/lept to the ground just as the car passed on my left side and I shrieked, thinking somehow the dog would wind up bouncing off my car and getting hurt. It came damn close, but handed on its feet. The driver didn't notice at first, so the dog tried to keep up with the car, as it was still connected to the leash that was obviously connected to something inside.

The driver stopped about 15 feet after, getting out of the car and shooing the dog into the back. It looked like its right hind leg had been injured, as it was limping slightly. Driver got the dog inside, looked sheepishly about, then climbed back inside and drove off quickly. The drivers of cars around me stared with jaws dropped as much as my own.

Seriously. I coudn't make this stuff up.

No comments: