4.09.2005

Connect the dots

I'm doing away with the ellipses.

I used to think of it as romantic, in my own grammar-loving sort of way. A series of dots that mark a thought trailing off into unknown spaces. The ellipses was mysterious and left me wondering, imagining what other thought could have followed.

But a conversation of ellipsies, I've discovered, is the worst to have. Oversaturated by them, the whimsy has been stripped away to reveal what the three little dots really are.

Omission. The very name for the dots should serve as a warning. Derived from the Greek word elleipsis. "To fall short."

The ellipses, my friends, is a cop-out approach to communcation. And I don't have any reason to deal with cop-out conversations anymore.

I'm more of a dash kind of girl. Multiple thoughts brought together. Not omitted, not left dangling off into air. Too much, rather than too little.

In other news. It's a jeans and sandals day. Flip-flop smacks against brick streets traveled by other barefoot-wannabes enjoying the sunshine.

"Are you enjoying the day?" a stranger asks.

"How could you not?" is your reply.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dash - learn it, live it, love it.

Haha. I think it's just that the ellipses and I need to take a break. Reflect on things, then maybe start out again on a trial basis and see what it brings.

HAHAHAHAHA. Love it.

Anonymous said...

And you are just doing your damndest to include as many ellipsies as possible in your comments on this, aren't you? Please note my absolute refusal to include the damn dots other than in their solo, period form.

But who knows what will come on the horizon? Perhaps one day the three-dot grammatical technique - that which I now scorn - will find itself back in my good graces.

Yes, I wrote that last paragraph solely so I could include dashes.

Anonymous said...

You know it, baby.