4.10.2005

Bypass

I don't want to jinx things, but this needs to be noted.

There's been no clear transition period here. Winter just seems to have slunk off with its tail between its legs, replaced by a triumphantly swaggering spring. Ice on the lake? Seems like it vanished overnight, as royal blue waves are rippling away as if they were never covered. My wool coat didn't even have an opportunity to enjoy the season's last hurrah.

Not that I'm complaining. In the least. Trust me.

I've always said autumn is my favorite season - I certainly stand by that sentiment. But this is my favorite time of year. I can feel the warmth energize me, and everyone is strutting about with sandals and baseball caps to block the sun from their eyes. I'm no exception, as I've happily begun training my feet to get used to the feel of sandal straps and finally took my Sox cap off the shelf and back onto my head.

Feels glorious.

Speaking of the Red Sox, it should be no surprise to anyone that I can already offer an opinion on "Fever Pitch." The Casa de Racca threesome took to the theater on Friday night, capping off an evening of coffeeshop, chess and peppermint tea with a film.

Alright, that sounds far too refined for us. Truth? Coffeeshop was grand, particularly since tea always tastes better when it's prepared for you. Beth and I teamed up to take on Chuck at chess (outcome: well, we won with a brilliant trap, but would have lost had C realized our king was a sitting duck. I consider it a draw and look forward to being able to dust off my chess skills again soon). And then we gawked over Jimmy Fallon (well, B and I did) and the Red Sox (well, C and I did).

The movie? Predictable story, of course, but you know that going in. But it's adorable. Anyone with a crush on Jimmy leaves with an even larger one, and I found it hilarious to watch clips of last season and realize I still agonized over trailing the Yankees and grimaced at the 19-8 ALCS game (Beth's comment: "Ah, we were in Washington for that. V's response: "Yes, and I, at least, was drinking because of that.")

The overly zealous Red Sox fan stereotype was only humorously lampooned, balanced by great summaries of what it is to be a fan of the team. But for those Hornby, Arsenal fans out there, the only similarities to the book and, I'd imagine, the original film (that I want to see) is the title and sports passion. That's it.

It was a perfect thing to see to make me realize that in less than a week, I'll be in the ballpark cheering on the team. Part of the most absurd week ever, actually. I'm thrilled at the lineup - Tori/Matt, Red Sox, "Phantom," Red Sox - but am fully aware of the fact that I will be lucky to be conscious and standing a week from now.

So I should really take a moment now to enjoy the calm before the craziness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I too decided to see it, and well meh. Sure it wasn't terrible, but I'm still saddened it's not about my football team. That said it was interesting how the Farrely brothers decided not to take parts from the book, and instead stole moments from the British version of the film. Like the whole baby thing, in the book it doesn't happen. But it happened in the british movie and happens in this one too, though in the UK version she really is pregant.

And sadly there were no Arsenal references for me to enjoy, but oh well.

Anonymous said...

I really need to see the UK film. It has everything this girl could ask for - football, Hornby source material and Colin Firth.

I'd be shocked if I didn't love it.

Anonymous said...

I might know of a way for you to get your hands on a copy, but it wouldn't be until later tonight.