10.12.2004

spirited

status check - lovely
background ambiance - same old

it's a self-indulgent tuesday.

i'm feeling relaxed and confident today, dressed for both style and comfort as i attack the first tasks in my apparently low-stress day. i woke up late (well, fine, this is typical as of late) and spent my conscious pre-work hours enjoying season one of "the west wing"* and doing a little shopping/wandering on church street during a gorgeous autumn early afternoon. i've treated myself to a few superfluous purchases based on nothing other than the fact that i wanted them. i've capped it all off with a speeder and earl's grasshopper (white chocolate, espresso and mint).

among the previously mentioned purchases? a rose-colored velvet blazer and a new red sox hat to replace the one i was given one late-childhood christmas. it doesn't fit, so i haven't worn it in years - i realized today that it was to remedy that. i was amused to discover a small horde of people in the sporting goods store, all clamoring for a boston cap and heckling the one brave soul interested in buying new yankees headgear.

i picked out my selection and scoffed as the salesman asked if i wanted a bag. hell no, i only needed a garbage recepticle in which to place the tags and stickers. i planned on walking out with the purchase snugly placed on my head, thank you. and, upon doing so, i immediately walked into a number of walk-bys greetings and smiles from my boston bretheren. it was a huge surprise to me, as i'd just walked the same street minutes before and seen only a smattering of red sox gear. on my post-purchase travels, i've graciously received compliments on the hat and remarks of "can't wait for tonight!" after buying my hot caffeinated bevarage, i had the door to the coffeeshop held open for me by a charming fellow wearing a boston hat of his own. he had held the door for the older woman leaving before me and remained at the doorman perch for longer than most would consider necessary, letting me pass through the doorway unencumbered. he smiled as i said thank you, replying that he wouldn't hold the door for a yankees fan.

i'm preparing to watch tonight's game from the office, cheering with my mini wally the green monster beanbag purchased for me at the lone sox game i was able to attend this season. i've been reading interviews, analysies and articles about the game and the series matchup, and i'm determined to get today's work done early so i can spend much of the evening roaming between my desk and the televisions.

the only thing that would make it better would be going to a bar to watch the game ... a funny realization to make considering i'm not generally one to watch sporting events in such an environment. but i'm hoping to come up with a way to do so at some point this series.

ah, how i adore october game days in new england ...

No comments: