9.21.2003

is it any wonder why i find this 'roid particularly amusing?

the timing could not have been better for that.

closing was, in its own twisted, relative way, fun. well, maybe not fun. but easy as can be. much easier than writing a measly 250 words on a football game, that's for sure. i now completely understand why i never felt like i missed out, not having a football team to cheer on during high school or college. why, you may ask?

i really cannot stand football. give me basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer - you name it and i'll very happily be in the stands or, ideally, playing. hell, i've even given golf a shot this summer.

but football can exist without me having anything to do with it, thank you ...

speaking of soccer, if you haven't already read it, check out the story in sports illustrated about mia hamm. mia has been my favorite female athlete for just about as long as i can remember - not to mention one of my favorite athletes overall. when i was in my early years of high school, i would train during the off-season, going running or doing drills on occasion - things like that. on occasion, i wore a sweatband (primarily, i think, because we were strictly forbidden to wear such items during the soccer season, as my coach viewed them as frivilous and attempts to draw attention to the individual, rather than the team - how much did my coach ROCK!?!). when the sweatband was not on, i was training as vickie. when the black nike band was on, however, i was mia.

she continues to inspire me to this day. it's a great article.

No comments: