11.18.2003

new old music and judgment day

i now have the hot pink-accented, old hollywood-glammed tori "tales of a librarian" collection sitting in my desk. however, i have no means of playing it at the moment. which naturally causes infinite frustration, as i want to be able to hear if the songs are re-mastered, rerecorded or originals (yes, i know there are two new songs - i'm not that clueless). new tori days are good days - i recall the day when i picked up my limited edition of "scarlet's walk" at union station. i sat on a bench and opened the box, taking in the sight of tori "snapshots," stickers, my charm and the other bits of tori goodness inside. and then popping the disc into my discman for the metro ride home, following the songs on the map tori included. falling in love with "gold dust" and piecing together my connection with it - my location to charm to sticker to song.

i was looking up old archives to see if i'd posted about the experience when i came across these little bits, which i find too amusing for words, considering what i know now thirteen months later:

montag, oktober 28, 2002
i had the jason mraz sampler waiting for me when i got home...big, huge thank you goes out to tikki for sending it my way. it's fantastic--i think listening to it on the metro on my way in this morning helped contribute to my great start...it has "the remedy" (see above), "you & i both" and a live track of "i'm ok" that rocks the casbah. good times...


(editor's note: yes, i really did include the lyrics to "the remedy." and, yes, "i'm ok" is really "common pleasure." i was young. and foolish.)


and later that day:
the more i read about mraz, the more intriguing i find him. i think i will have to buy "waiting for my rocket to come" very soon--it's currently at No. 2 on my list of music i intend to buy (No. 1 being, obviously, tori's "scarlet's walk" TOMORROW!!!!). mraz seems to have the musical talent of a howie or john, but with a kickass attitude and still has a bit of the underground feel we all know i love (what can i say? i admit that i do get a slightly elitist kick out of knowing about a talented musician before the general public).

(editor's note: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

needless to say, the fact that he's playing the higher ground show with howie on the 18th makes me want to scream with envy...st. michael's people should go to the show and call me from the venue--with mraz on the other line telling me that he wishes i was there...well, perhaps that would be a bit much, but it would make an amazing belated birthday present (hint hint, wink wink--and if you REALLY love me, you'd have mraz AND howie telling me they wish i was there). while he'll be here in d.c. right before then (i think he's actually here the day before), he's opening for jewel, and i don't feel like spending the money for a big show when he'll be playing an opening set. and besides, there's a "been there done that" feel to seeing jewel live (saw her at woodstock and, while she was fine, the set didn't exactly pull me in either).

and the part i was actually looking for in the first place from the following day:

tori's new album is a delight. i picked up the limited edition at sam goody's in union station on my way home from work ($15.99 for the limited edition? revelrevel) and listened to it on the metro ride and walk home. the rain that ws falling around me helped set the mood for the tori-enjoyment, and i loved it. each track has something special that i enjoy--the fact that i'm seeing her in less than two weeks is slowly dawning on me, and i'm getting incredibly excited! from the sound of beth's squeals over the phone last night, i get the impression that she's somewhat excited about the concert too... ;)

anyhoo. now that we have taken one loooong trip down memory lane ... i should also mention that i felt great satisfaction hearing about john allen muhamad's conviction yesterday. i'll never forget the night before (well, i suppose it was actually the actual night, if you want to get technical) the snipers were caught ... i was lying in bed, watching the special news reports about it, listening to the reporters read the suspects' descriptions and freaking (for the only time during my time in dc) about the fact that my window was on ground level. seeing muhammed's image on the television, i couldn't even get out of bed to turn off the tv (i'd dropped my remote or something so i needed to turn it off by crossing the room to the tv) because i was convinced something would happen. i turned over, listening to the sound of the news and ignoring the blue glow of the screen until i fell asleep.

i want this guy put away. not killed. put away for life with no chance for parole. ever.

No comments: