11.24.2003

... two week progress report ...

one of my favorite times of day lately has been - and it shocks me to say this - the half hour before i walk into work. after parking the car and making the short walk to church street, i swing by brueger's (sp?) bagels to pick up a bagel and a nice, large cup of french vanilla coffee. besides the fact that i love to pull open the door and instantly be hit by an incredible wave of coffee-scented goodness, i enjoy looking about as i stand in the short line.

it's my daily opportunity to be reminded to do my best at work that day. as i stand there and look about, i see most of the patrons flipping through the paper, reading the stories and commenting to their companions on them.

when i'm reporting and writing, it's easy to focus so much on what i need to do and how i want to explain things that i can forget that there are others, people who don't know me in the least, who read the fruits of my labor. and i want them to know what i know.

i think it's good to be able to focus on the task at hand when i'm actually doing the reporting and writing, but it's important to take a look at the bigger picture as well.

which is why i love my morning routine so much.

i don't know - i guess right now i'm just feeling as if i'm doing what i'm supposed to be doing right now. working, writing, observing and living ... waiting to see if i got my apartment, thinking about decoration and the next six months of winter and spring fun ...

i don't know ... i guess this is just my rambling way of saying that things are going well. and, to quote the godfather of soul ...

i feel good.

in other news, in my half-conscious state saturday afternoon and evening (since i couldn't get to the office because my car was ... well ... dead ...), i paid homage to jgb. i found one of my many tapes of "seaQuest" and decided to see if they still worked.

yep - sure did. "fresh prince" and "blossom" ads and all. and the scary thing? i could still quote many of the lines. episodes a decade old and i could still quote them.

and ... it was brought yet again to my attention just how much a sucker i am for musicians (i know, this is the "captain obvious" section of this post). i stood outside a little while ago, enjoying the gorgeous sunshine and warmth and realizing just how fleeting such weather will soon be, when i saw a twenty-something man walking by. not unattractive, yet nothing to scream over, but my heart skipped a beat nonetheless. why? because he was a decent-looking man walking down the street carrying two guitar cases.

it's amazing how this post went from talking about my future to looking back upon my teeny-bopper past, then talking about my music-bopper present ... it amuses me.

No comments: