5.21.2003

the walk from union station to my office this morning was absolutely glorious.

it really shouldn't have been, for all intensive purposes. crowded walkways filled with the commuters disgruntled by the downpour of rain and splashing of puddles as oblivious drivers navigated their cars and vans on paths incorperating the maximum possible splash factor while the morning news' promises of days of rain echo through their damp heads. the individuals who failed to either listen to or heed the warnings of the morning weather report glaring enviously at those who had actually brought umbrellas. grumblings of resentment about the lack of warm weather resonating through the masses while paper coffee cups threaten to buckle as the raindrops splash on them.

it really should have been one of those situations where i walked off the metro, bustled up the stairs and dashed to work as quickly as possible so i could avoid as much of the displeasure as possible. instead, it was glorious.

as i walked, my umbrella kept me nice and dry, the air felt thick and warm with the moisture and my footsteps felt confident and light as i dodged the splashes and navigated the cobblestones. a smile on my face, i was nestled snugly in the very center of a bubble of comfort and positivity - the sounds, sights, even smells of the city were soft and soothing. what was it that brought such a wonderful feeling about? the taste of the warm sourdough bagel this morning? the beckoning promises of the rich coffee kevin would have brewing when i arrived at the office? the way the scents of my new cocoa butter lotion and old chocolate chip cookie lip gloss combined to make me think of my mother's baking? or was it the way i could hear james cagney's voice in my head as i read from his autobiography on the metro on my way in?

a bit of everything, i believe. the individual pieces came from the potential jumble of daily life and clicked into place to produce a feeling of temporary perfection.

moments like that - sensations like that - make me realize just how wonderful life can be. it's a welcome feeling, as things have been physically and emotionally over- and underwhelming at the same time lately. there is a lot on my plate right now (ok, really bad, incredibly unintentional play on words there) while, all things considered, there really isn't. it is as if my life is one huge series of dichotomies and i just have to sort them out one by one - or accept the fact that i don't have to sort them all out, i just need to be for awhile. good lord, just start calling me kierkegaard already, right?

nevertheless. i sit here now, sipping my coffee, rambling onto the computer screen, the rain falling outside and a smile on my face. things are good.

No comments: