9.29.2006

Insert appropriate animated fish pun here

In honor of NEMO and my normal, Massachusetts-centric tendancies, I will be among those in town this weekend, partaking in some live music and otherwise digging the Boston vibe.

For those in the area, may I recommend a couple of events? I'll be at some, I won't be at others (and, truth be told, I've yet to decide into which category most will fall), but all are worth checking out.

Friday
Todd Carey - 3 p.m., Boston Center for the Arts (Cyclorama): Todd is one of those musicians who just loses himself in the joy of performing. A singer-songwriter channeling the blues, Todd also happens to be talented, charismatic and a hell of a nice guy. I'm looking forward to seeing him in full-band, back-to-back performances in October (Oct. 20 in Burlington, Oct. 21 in Manchester, N.H., opening for Chad Perrone). Try listening to him perform "Voodoo Child" and not tap your feet in time by song's end.

Pete Kilpatrick - 4 p.m., Boston Center for the Arts (Cyclorama): Start inside for Todd, run outside to catch Pete. Fun, funky vibe that I wish I could expience live more often.

Emilia Dahlin - 9 p.m., Toad: I've only seen her perform once - at the Williston NEMO singer-songwriter competition, but when she opened her voice, I sat up straighter in my chair, then leaned forward. A sprite of a girl with a big voice and Ani DiFranco-reminiscent straightforward style. "God Machine" was played constantly after I caught her three-song set.

Saturday

The Long Winters - Harpers Ferry: Have I mentioned lately that I love The Long Winters? Oh wait. I have? Whew. OK, good. If you haven't seen the band live, you really should.

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals - Paradise: Viva la Vermont!

Heath Brandon/Tim Blane - Club Passim: Two talented singer-songwriter men I've never seen live, but have wanted to for quite some time. Won't make it to this show, but you should go instead and let me know how it goes.

Meika Pauley - Lizard Lounge: Meika has a ballsy, husky-voiced approach to music that I love; she tends to leave an audience engrossed in the sound when you see her live. Plus, if you act up, she has a song that talks about beating people in the head with her guitar. Hello. Awesome.

Jason Myles Goss - BCftA Cyclorama: Earnest, talented, on the rise. Catch the singer-songwriter now.

In non-NEMO-related performance (and the one that I believe I will be attending tomorrow night): a band of five guys (and friends of mine) are going to be taking the stage at an undisclosed location. Check out the band's myspace to get the info or inquire.

No comments: