9.24.2006

A close encounter

***NOTE: What follows is the exception to the norm - the description of an encounter with a music type. I've tended to keep these from the blog because 1) they don't tend to be particularly interesting, 2) I don't like dropping names, particularly when I've hardly the right to even consider dropping and 3) these encounters, like those with non-celebrities and music types, often end with me looking like a dork. I don't get starstruck (at least not most of the time) - I just happen to make an ass of myself.

That said, this one amused me.

SCENE - EXT. ZILKER PARK. AFTERNOON. FRIDAY.

An outdoor stage, with a waist-high barricade separating audience from stage. The barriers extend beyond the house right side of the stage, to a small stopgap armed by a festival volunteer. Were one to enter this space, one could move directly to her left to reach the photo pit or turn to the right and move to a VIP/artist area.

VICTORIA stands near the stopgap. She holds a camera in her left hand, her arms crossed lazily over the barrier. A messenger bag of sorts dangles across her frame. She is waiting, attempting to appear nonchalant, before she enters the photopit.

She looks to her immediate left, half-startled to see a tall, lean man standing next to her. He is wearing a blue plaid button down shirt, with slightly reddish-brown hair and a grizzled beard. He looks at her with wide eyes.


VICTORIA: Thinking to herself Holy hell, it's Ray LaMontagne.
RAY LAMONTAGNE: Seemingly thinking to himself I think she recognized me. Please have not recognized me.

VICTORIA and RAY LAMONTAGNE look at each other for a moment. The absolutes in this situation are clear. She knows who he is. He knows that she knows who he is. She has a PHOTO band around the wrist closest to him, and she is holding a camera. She knows that he is notorious for social awkwardness. He knows that he really, REALLY does not want to carry on a conversation with a stranger. VICTORIA and RAY LAMONTAGNE continue to acknowledge each other.

VICTORIA: Thinking to herself Part of me thinks I should say hello, but I'm scared that he'll run off or snap at me or refuse to play his set later.
RAY LAMONTAGNE: Thinking to himself Please do not say hello to me. I don't know you.
VICTORIA: To herself I'm not going to say anything. I'll just nod. That's acceptable, right? Nods to RAY LAMONTAGNE
RAY LAMONTAGNE: To himself She's not saying anything. Nods to VICTORIA
VICTORIA: To herself Whew. Looks back at stage
RAY LAMONTAGNE: To himself Whew. Looks at fesvial volunteer. Volunteer moves to allow RAY LAMONTAGNE access to artist area. He proceeds behind a sheer tarp acting as a wall.

VICTORIA follows RAY LAMONTAGNE, but continues on to photo pit to take pictures of MATT NATHANSON's set.


A SHORT TIME LATER
VICTORIA is moving through crowd, when she feels a sudden grip on her arm. She turns, sees A, an old acquaintance from Boston. VICTORIA and A hug.

A: What are YOU DOING HERE!
VICTORIA: I could ask the same of you! How are you?
A: I'm great, I'm great. Guess who I just met a bit ago.
VICTORIA: Who?
A: Ray LaMontagne.
VICTORIA: Oh God, I was standing by him. I refused to say anything. Didn't want to scare him off.
A: I had to.
VICTORIA: And?
A: The most awkward encounter ever.
VICTORIA: Yep. That sounds about right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can say with zero trepidation that my encounters with him have been the most awkward i have ever had with anyone.

the man speaks, but his eyes are just about everywhere they can be besides meeting yours. which makes him appear to be having a sort of seizure.

i did love your "conversation". i'm 100% sure that was exactly how it was in his head too :)

~kj

Victoria said...

The writeup was prompted by the latest issue of "Rolling Stone," in which there is a small feature (feature-let?) and photograph. He's wearing the same shirt and kind of has the same expression on his face. The Ray LaMontagne Patented I-Don't-Wanna-Be-Here Face.

Chris said...

I've never interacted with him, but I've heard similar things from others who have attempted to speak with him. Did you hear him on NPR 3-4 weeks ago? He played really well, but the interview was borderline hostile. It was interesting, he was very protective of himself.
V., I'd be interested in your take on his new album...