3.06.2006

A weekend of self-imposed reclusive behavior (intented to - and mostly successful in the attempts to - eradicate this cold) led to the decision to embark on an epic adventure of discovery and danger.

That's right. The First Annual Spring(ish)* Cleaning. The scene: my bedroom and closet. The timeframe: All - and I mean all of Saturday and a good chunk of Sunday (that which was not spent going to see Match Point** in the theater or watching the Oscars***).

Among the items unearthed during this process:

- One (1) bike helmet
- One (1) college graduation dress, previously believed to have been at parents' home
- Approximately forty-five dollars ($45 USD) in loose change
- Copies of the following books: The Natural, The Grapes of Wrath, The House of Seven Gables and a collection of Christopher Durang plays, all yet to be read by yours truly
- Ticket stubs from the following: Rufus Wainwright/Ben Folds (with special guest Ben Lee), circa last summer; Averi Paradise-headlining performance, circa 2004; Red Sox game, circa April 2005; MFA Art Deco exhibit, circa December 2004; Ryan Montbleau Band Higher Ground performance, dated March 17, 2005 (unused, as show was postponed until May 20, the date I was attending the Bushwalla double-header in Massachusetts); Melissa Ferrick, circa January 2005; Mason Jennings Black Cat-headlining performance, circa Spring 2003 (I am forever cursed by that Butterfly song. Ugh.)
- CDs
- Six (6) lip balms/glosses, four (4) of which are some shade of red
- Three (3) sweaters, completely forgotten
- Enough clothing to nearly double my wardrobe
- Two (2) large bags of clothing to be donated to the Salvation Army
- One (1) pair of slippers
- Five (5) belts
- One (1) jump rope
- One (1) softball, neon yellow
- Two (2) scarves
- Approximately thirty (30) pens, of which approximately twenty-eight (28) have blue ink
- One (1) journal, circa 1994 (eighth grade)
- One (1) brown loafer shoe, thought disappeared but joyously reunited with partner
- One (1) new, unopened jar of Vicks VapoRub, an item I had intended to actually purchase and a product I had not, as of Saturday, used since I was perhaps eight (8) years old
- One (1) vial of Pink Sugar by Aquolina perfume

It staggers the mind, I know.

But, in related news, the weekend proved to be just what I needed. I created order out of the chaos that had become my life. I found a way to be active that didn't involve running, as I'm still not allowed to partake in that outlet. I freaked out my roommates by announcing that I was going out to buy home organization tools, and I amused them with audible-behind-a-closed-door, cold-raspy renditions of musical singalongs (and one open-door dancefest to Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone").

Also question whether Reese Witherspoon deserved an Oscar, after viewing "Just Like Heaven" and was dazzled by the cinematography of "The Constant Gardener."

Getting better is feeling pretty awesome.

* I ignored the fact that there was about a foot of new-fallen snow on the ground when I began this task. March = Springish.
** I do not recommend this film, which is disappointing, as I was so anticipating the opportunity to view it on the big screen. I do, however, emphatically restate my belief that Jonathan Rhys Myers is an incredibly beautiful man.

*** How do I love Jon Stewart? Let me count the ways. I thought he did a brilliant job and should not be criticized for the fact that Hollywood proved itself to be slightly less intelligent - nay, strike that, a whole lot dumber - than it likes to give itself credit for. Also: George Clooney gives the best asides - and best speeches - in Hollywood.

No comments: