3.28.2006

I'm not one of those runners who can just zone out and listen to the sound of one's breathing. Or whatever it is runners listen to without an iPod soundtrack.

I have to have some music going. The beat, as you might expect, is pretty important. And in those instances in which I find songs on zee ol'* iPod-io that match the beat I'm creating with my feet, watch out world.

The reason they had to rely on The Six Million Dollar Man and PF Flyers back in the day can simply be chalked up to lack of iPod or otherwise easily transportable audio systems. Because when I get the right song or artist playing, I really am better, stronger, faster. I can run faster, jump higher, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, fine. I'm not sure about the jump higher bit. I haven't tested that out yet.

So. Ramble aside. Once I come across great running music, I tend to set it aside strictly for the running experience. Ryan Adams' "Rock N Roll"? Don't listen to it except for when I'm on the treadmill. Other certain songs or albums are equally reserved.

This is due to the fact that I naively carried the selections from Matt Nathanson's Paradise show over into the other parts of my life. And wondered why, while driving on the highway or organizing things in my room, I started to feel winded.

Hmm.

Yesterday, I made the should-have-been-common-sensical discovery that my LCD Soundsystem music collection is an absolutely brilliant compilation of quick-paced beats suitable for running. Seriously. My workout raced (no pun intended) by, and I was having so much fun rocking out to the tunes that I only had to half-push myself to up my distance.

(Keep in mind that "upping my distance" is an extraordinarily relative term.)

I was torn over this discovery. Great - good running music! Boo - have to save it for running!

I tried. I really, truly, honestly did. But today, driving in the car with windows down and the temperature at a getting-there-so-I'll-take-it-for-now-55-degrees, I couldn't not break the rule.

I dare you to not be similarly invigorated by cool - NOT COLD! - spring breezes and "Movement."

Double dog dare you.

No comments: