1.02.2006

The devil's in the details.

It was all about the details during this venture to Massachusetts.

The turned shoulder in a social setting.
The last letter in a word that made me look up quickly from my phone.
The fact that M and I were fine after the accident - that the cars' occupants were much better than the sight of the cars would have indicated.
The angle in which our car slid off the icy road and down the embankment.
The perspective that angle gave us to watch the other car roll down the hill.
The hugs of relief that met us as we walked through the door into the New Year's Eve celebration several hours after we'd intended.
The fact that the hosts made sure everyone had a cup of champagne ten minutes before midnight.
The faces on those serenading my friends and I as we laughed ourselves to tears on the couch.
The smell of the caramel latte as T and I chatted in the coffee shop in Harvard Square.
That Elliott Smith was playing over the sound system.
And, yes, a detail that rendered details I'd thought of mentioning absolutely moot.

It just feels good to be home, to know that I'm going to be able to curl up beneath blankets in my bed and sleep.

No comments: