9.11.2004

rock art

status check - pre-play giddiness
background ambiance - gpaltrow on "inside the actors studio"

like many burlingtonians, i spent part of my saturday hopping around the south end in an artistic manner. the annual art hop opened south end shops and galleries to the art-hungry public, with more installations, pieces and drawings than i was possibly able to view during my brief afternoon trapsing.

i did, however, make a point to stop by the indoor-skatepark-turned-gallery on the corner of battery and king. photos and posters from the higher ground days ... heavenly. it was fascinating to realize just who had made their way to hg on the way toward musical brilliance - and thoroughly distressing that i had missed so many amazing shows. modest mouse in 2000, with the shins opening? guster's 9.9.99 show? norah jones, elliott smith (several times), and others? oy. when hg opens in its new space, i'm going to frequent it much more frequently. and do some research when they put out the new schedules.

but there were a couple of posters that made me smile, as the memories of the show popped back into my mind. cherry poppin' daddies with will and collin sporting the zoot suits - fun vintage-looking poster for that one. a simple, yet bold poster for damien rice's april show (the last time i was in hg) made me think of the silence in the house while he covered "hallelujah."

those posters - that's my kind of art. don't get me wrong - i adore matisse and picasso. my van gogh print is my favorite piece of art, while i'm a sucker for vintage posters of the french persuasion. but at the top of my favorites? art posters for my favorite musicians. that's why i hold onto the posters i get, after all - and why i just went through the whole process of creating huge framed collages of the pieces i've acquired. a combination of art and the immediacy of the musical memories they conjure ... heavenly.

No comments: