6.08.2004

an ode to writer's block

status check - grr
background ambiance - not enough keyboard clicking ...

you always manage to sneak up on me at the most inopportune of times. here i am, pleased to have something or someone fascinating to write about. i sit at my computer, stretch my neck and place my fingers on the keyboard keys.

nothing.

instead, i'm greeted by the realization that the descriptive phrases i hope to cultivate are trapped in some recess of my mind. some deep dark area that will only creep out with time. but considering that these words are on deadline, it might take forceful coaxing instead.

while there's never a particularly good time for you to strike, i'd prefer it if you tormented me on the little stories. the briefs or snippets that need to get done, but don't earn clip-worthy status.

but nooooo. you wait for the big stories. you strike when i try to write my novel. you attack me when i have something worthy of sharing, but am left without any sense of how to share it.

i try to beat you away with a walk. a quick look stroll through the office, perhaps a few minutes online. and when i return to my blank page, i am convinced that you've gone away. i can write and do that for which i am paid to do.

no matter how many times i leave, however, you're waiting there for my return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you didn't appear to have blog block!

Victoria said...

haha - do i ever have blog block?

exactly. ;)