5.03.2002

so i've decided to do something a little different this year.

that's right, the famous packing procrastinator got stuff done early this year. it was due to a number of factors--the desire to put off actually finishing my practicum work, thus giving myself the impression that i'm not finished with college quite yet, the fact that my room looked like a bomb hit it and the realization that i won't really want to spend senior week being a basket case because i have to pack my room for the final time. i have a tendancy to get emotional when i pull photos off of my wall o' pictures.

so i did it all last night. and i'm talking all. my walls are bare. boxes are packed. the only things i have left in my room is a closet full of clothes (primarily because i ran out of boxes and i'd already filled my trunk), my computer, my stereo, and a few odds and ends such as my guitar and some fun pillows. everything else is in the storage room, awaiting my parents' arrival tomorrow to take it all home.

this presents things both good and bad. good: i don't have to do it later, thus enabling me to fully enjoy senior week. i now have a clean room. i was able to pride myself on being productive. bad: i still freaked as i pulled everything off walls. since i have packrat-like tendancies, i couldn't bear to get rid of many things that i know i really don't need (i justified it by thinking that when i'm famous, all of these items can go into a collection of sorts and be worth millions of dollars. my reporter's notebook from junior and senior year? oh, it'll be priceless.), so i tried to keep them all organized, but i know i'll have to spend eons sorting through everything this summer. and i now have four blank walls staring at me whenever i sit in my room. and i HATE blank walls. i'm from the "there's no need for blank space, they can be creatively filled by something" school of thought. my room was a collection of photographs, posters, programs and other various and sundry items, all organized and asthetically designed to give my room a lived-in, kind of funky style. and now there are just these fucking blank walls and i swear they will drive me mad.

beth and i played the cruelest game last night as we prepared to pack--we sat in our respective rooms and played each other songs. not just random songs, oh no. songs with "meaning." eve 6 "here's to the night," boys II men "so hard to say goodbye"--songs along those lines. it was ugly. we were both laughing and screaming at the same time. she ultimately won, however, when she hit me with vitamin c's "graduation day" or whatever the hell it's called. not just the song, which i loathe with a passion because it forces me to think about graduation, but also with beth's first official donning of the cap and gown. how cruel is that? i was laughing AND crying while i called her a heinous bitch. advice for future graduates: DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.

i've had a couple of readers critically examining this site, so let me offer a retraction:

- when i went to the post-concert party tuesday night, i traveled there with michelle AND beth. there was no malicious intent with the omission of beth's name, i was simply hungover. i deeply and sincerely apologize to beth for the shocking omission and thank her from the bottom of my heart for a fun time at the festivities. ;)

No comments: