2.14.2006

When the time comes to actually jump into the lake, you don't really have the spare seconds that might make you want to back out. I think they plan it that way.

Of course, there's a moment or two as you're approaching the waterfront, bundled in a heavy sweatshirt and the warmest coat you own, when you start to think yourself mad. After all, you're warm. The air around you is cold. You're holding a self-heating latte (thanks, Mom and Dad) to keep you warm until that last possible moment.

But when you sign up and get your number written on your hand, you sign away any time to second-guess. It's WHOOOSH - off to the changing room, where people around you are screaming and cheering and shouting with glee about what you're about to do. Then there are a few moments to laugh with your friends about the fact that you're actually about to do this when it's WHOOSH - off to the staging area, where you realize you're about to run into the water.

People are crazy. You're getting pats on the back from people you've never met before and will likewise never see again. You're laughing at people in Speedos or bikinis, and you're dancing around to the Beach Boys and any other song the organizers thought might somehow tie into a summer theme. It's almost like that traditional last weekend of college before finals, when everyone is such acting ridiculous because they can and they won't get in trouble for it.

And that's when it gets really weird. All of a sudden, surrounded by all these people who are doing the same thing you're about to do - and all in varying stages of inhebriation, might I add - it sounds great to run into icy cold water. Why wouldn't you want to do it? The people standing outside in the cold, without the luxury of a heated tend - those are the crazy people. They're missing out. You're about to do something that has your energy at its peak, your adrenaline racing through you and a serious case of the laughs running wild. You're dancing and you're jumping and you're cheering on a group of guys running around barechested.

And then WHOOSH - you're running. Out past people you may or, more likely, may not know, but it doesn't matter because you're going past them too quickly to identify any of them. The asphalt path moves straight forward, veers to one side or another a couple of times, and then it just dips down.

The water is right in front of you, and you just gun for it. In in in in SPLASH.

It's cold. Really, really, bone-jarringly cold. But when it hits you, your whole body suddenly heats up. Much like the days during late soccer season, when you'd run for the ball as your chest just burned from the cold air moving into and out of your lungs.

When I hit the water, I ran in a few steps and just let my body fall, so I could let as much of the water cover me as I could. Got up to just around my ears. The fact that it was cold went away, replaced instead by the fact that I was suddenly more awake than I've been in months.

The bottom of the lake was slippery, and my sneakers had difficulty gripping the rocks enough to pull me up. I don't remember feeling cold again until I stepped out of the water, reached for a towel and realized that my shirt and shorts were freezing cold, dripping freezing cold water against a freezing cold me. I, and everyone else in my group, awkwardly ran back up the path, past the mayor (who, frankly, should have been busy jumping into the water, instead of congratulating everyone as they jumped out) and back to the heating tent.

And that's it, really. That was the experience. You're prepped, you're sent, you're in the water and you're scrambling back for warm, dry gear. And you realize you're game with going through the whole thing the next time February rolls around.

Oh, and you get a hat. Which is nice.

My parents found us quickly, part of the parental cluster that somehow managed to form shortly after the jump. There were hugs when we emerged, bright-cheeked and laughing, from the dressing tent, and there were group photographs taken with the team members and the various visiting troubadors who had braved the cold to cheer us on. Which was really nice.

The group broke up, with promises to meet up later that evening, and I walked home with my parents, stopping - of course - for the required maple latte (which, P Squared, was much enjoyed) along the way.

What's funny is that I'm not at all a winter person. I keep bundled up whenever possible. But as we walked up the street in the direction of my apartment, it felt as if I might as well walk around without a jacket.

Don't get me wrong. I kept that sucker on.

But I think it was the warmest I've felt all season.

No comments: