11.03.2004

saying thanks

status check - good
background ambiance - phone call

i sent my parents flowers today.

normally, one might think the situation should be reversed. it's my birthday, so shouldn't i be getting the flower arrangements and accompanying card?

i say no. about a month ago, my mom joked around about birthdays, remarking, "you know some children send their mothers flowers on the child's birthday so as to say thank you."

she forgot about the comment, but i remembered, as i liked the idea. so today, my parents received a display of variously-shaded pink flowers in an old-fashioned sodashop glass. a "cherry" red-rose topped it off, as did two bent straws. it looks like a strawberry ice cream soda. inside the card, i added "thanks for that whole having me thing."

they loved it, which made me happy. after all, they're the ones who should really be celebrated today - hell, they've put up with having this crazy girl in their lives for 24 years.

that is one heck of an accomplishment.

so yes. the election put a rather somber tone on the day, but it wasn't a complete loss. i awoke to a message from my brother, reminding me that i'm old. i walked into the living room to find a message on the computer from my flatmate, reminding me that i'm old. spoke to my parents on the telephone and they reminded me that i'm old. add a birthday lunch to the mix and i'm happy but ready to break a hip or something.

and hey, not everyone gets a protest of anarchists ready to overthrow the bush regime on their special day. take that.

but thanks to those who remembered and sent messages and the like. especially to beth, julie, michelle, tom, parentals and becca. you're most fabulous.

No comments: