6.07.2006

Have you met...?

One of the most difficult things - for me, I should say - is to write short about music. I've tried to do so on several occasions lately and decided that I'm a bit too rusty for my own personal comfort.

With that in mind, I'm starting a weekly writing exercise, which I'm calling the "Have you met...?" series. Every Wednesday, I'll write a short snippet about an artist or a band. And I stress "snippet." Brevity is key. A quick introduction.

On a related note, if you have a recommendation for a musician I should check out, send it my way. Email, comment, whatever. Please let me know.

So. Saturday night's trip to Manchester included the perfect inaugural introduction. Here you go...

Week One: Have you met Patrick Thomas?

A singer-songwriter based in New York but with roots in Detroit, Patrick Thomas brings elements of soul and alt-country to the acoustic realm. But it's good-natured humor and an intangible aw-shucks factor that makes new listeners quickly feel as if they've known both the musician and his music for years.

"Maybe that's the way, an answer to a love that's gone astray," he sings in the plaintive title song on his 2005 "Here's To You" EP. "One of us the devil, one's the angel, that would mean I'd have to go to hell."

Whether backed by the rollicking band he urges to "country it up again" on "Metaphor," on stage solo or joined by regular touring companion (and fellow songster) Syd, Thomas shows balances insightful turns of phrase with a straightforward approach to conveying an emotion.

A song may be simply put, but when done right, it can be just as emphatically felt.

Selections from Patrick Thomas' "Here's To You" EP are available for listening and download at his myspace page. He will perform at New York's 169 Bar on June 15. Recommended tracks: Metaphor, My Sweet Time

No comments: