9.29.2005

You knew I wouldn't stay away.

About a week ago, I sat at the corner of a long bar in New Hampshire, sipping a pint of beer I'd been led to believe was known as The Fisher Cat. After an attempt at confirming the name from a friend - and the ensuing cat-like gesturing that followed - I was told by the bartender that I had to move my hand like a cat's paw cutting through the air each time I ordered the drink.

Of course I obliged. Several times. It added to the surreal nature of ordering beer at a bar. It was all pretty new to my vodka cran-loving self.

So as I sipped the brew, marveling in my determination to develop a taste for malt and whatever else goes into the mix, a gentleman approached and introduced himself to me.

I spared a scene - and an unpleasent Fisher Cat incident - by not spitting out my beer. I was floored - and delighted - to discover that this was P Squared.

We chatted about the Red Sox, about Vermont and Massachusetts and numerous other things that came to mind, when he remarked on his disappointment about the cessation of this little space. It had become part of his routine, he said, and he'd enjoyed being able to read my little rambles.

I also felt disappointment - in that I had to remark about my move to another space. I suddenly wished I hadn't made the move.

The writer's block, the self-editing, the label I had affixed to the blog - that being "I Can't Write What I Want Here" - it made it feel as if I needed a new space in order to actually write my mind.

Well, screw that.

I should be able to write anywhere, and Revelry is my turf. I'm not giving that up. I like my readers - pretty quiet as you are, I know you're there - I like the URL, and I like having my history here.

So I'm tweaking things a bit, giving myself a new redesign, and then Revelry will be up and back. A little different than before, but in a good way.

But here's the deal. There are some ground rules.

I don't write about work. I don't write about what I do, where I do it and how I do it.

I write about what's on my mind. When it comes to talking about other people, I'll make reference without specificially identifying. First names might be used, or perhaps initials if I deem it appropriate. But if it's a performance I'm referencing, that's a different story.

If you don't like like what I'm writing, it's simple. Don't read it. I'm not going to feel guilty or embarrassed about what I have to say.

If you do like what I'm reading, COMMENT. Leave a note. Let me know who you are. I'd like to be able to start a dialogue at times, and I figure that I'm sharing a great deal with you guys, so I'm not being too out of line by asking for a "Hi" every once in awhile in return. Even better would be an anecodte or observation.

That said, observations and advice are two completely different things. Observations? Good. Advice? Uh-uh.

And, finally, enjoy it. I like writing, and I wound up being able to enjoy Fisher Cat (meow) and conversation with someone who felt like a friend because of it. A completely unexpected twist to a Friday night made my evening and helped me out. I'd like to see more of the same.

And, by the way, it turned out that the beer wasn't called the Fisher Cat afterall. But I'll just prefer to think of it that way.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Glad You Changed Your Mind.
Welcome Back...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back V! It was a real pleasure meeting you last Friday night. I'm also pleased that I'll be able to enjoy your little rambles again with my cup of coffee in the morning. My very best wishes to you and be sure to cheer loud for our boys on Sunday.
Regards,
P Squared

Victoria said...

Haha - many thanks, you guys!

And P Squared - If watching the game last night on TV was any indication, "loud" won't even begin to describe my cheering on Sunday. Go Sox!