9.06.2005

I'm a bit delayed, but well-intentioned.

I started and stopped posts about Katrina and its aftermath, but everything I wrote seemed terribly cliched. It's easy to write about the horrific devastation and how I hurt for those affected when I'm sitting in northern lands free of floodwater, with all of my friends and loved ones accounted for.

In fact, I'm not even aware of anyone I know having been remotely within harm's way.

So I haven't written, haven't commented beyond the "I'm in a funk because everything in the world looks like it's gone to shit" post from last week.

That said, I've been following the news. I've been figuring out how I am going to help, and I encourage you to do the same.

I've been amazed (albeit at the same time not surprised) to see how Americans have rallied to help those hit hardest. My one hope is that people remember that it's going to be difficult for people a week from now. A month from now. A year from now.

Let's help victims now and continue to help them as they begin the process of recovery.

American Red Cross
America's Second Harvest
North Shore Animal League
Oxfam America
Salvation Army

No comments: