2.24.2003

ok, as a general rule, i don't post emails. largely due to the respect i have for those who email me, also because, in most cases, what is said within email should, in my opinion, remain within that context.

but situation arise in which i have no problem whatsoever with posting a gem -- in either the best or worse sense. which leads me to the emails i have received over the past day and a half or so...good lord, good lord.

i don't generally find myself in the position in which literary sparring comes about, but whenever i do, i have fun with it and don't hold back, particularly if the recipient of said remarks deserves them. such a recipient popped out of the depths of my past after i wanted to doublecheck to make sure no one i knew had been a victim of the fire in rhode island last week. after the mutually obligatory requests to update each other on how things have been, i dashed off a quick summary of the past eight months -- graduated, traveled, played theatre girl, moved to d.c. and am planning my ascent to top-notch theatre critic or otherwise worldly journalistic female.

the following is an excerpt from the response i recieved:

dont have a lot of time to talk i gotta get to bed and be up for six. fun times in coffee world, but it was nice to hear from ya. i donna know about your future endeavors, from my point of view you're entering a seedy profession with not so many professional people out there callin the shots. please dont listen to my cynical world view, lets hope you can make a difference in that shitty and circumstantial world of journalism.
nah, you're good for it
talk to you later

excuse me? ok, i can bash examples of bad journalistic practices (and do, quite frequently and with vigor). i even engage in debate with people i care about, defending or criticizing journalism. because i know the people i hold such discussions with are intelligent and insightful enough to enlighten me and inspire me to make the journalistic world a better place (yes, i realize that sounds just like i should start singing "we are the world" or something). but for a random person to bash the path i intend to follow for years upon years of my life without justification (or at least not justification conveyed to me)? oh no, i don't think so!

so i, naturally, dash off an appropriately short, sharp, biting response that brought me a great deal of pleasure to write:

"shitty and circumstantial." tell me what you really think -- don't hold back on my account.
your candor is appreciated, your cynicism largely disregarded. wait and see what happens when i'm the one "calling the shots."
one might wonder what profession would be considered less seedy. the obviously pristine world of the theatrical arts? much as i love and intend to spend a great deal of my life involved with it, even i know that halo's seriously askew.
enjoy the early morning while i enjoy sleeping through it.

there we go, i say to myself as i click send. no known connection to victims of the fire and the satisfaction of defending my beloved journalism against mean-spirited antagonizers. the odds of getting any form of response? nonexistant.

instead? i get praised.

i must admit i have missed the witty comebacks that were always prevalent in our conversations. and dont worry i wont hold back. (insert various 'justification' for previous cynical email) ...i am willing to concede all is not bed of roses in any profession. but enough of that...
thanks for the laughs, it was funny to see you still dont and wont hold any punches.
oh, and i DID enjoy the early morning thank you very much.
talk to you soon,

some things never cease to leave me in a permanent state of befuddlement.

in other news -- today was ridiculously long and hectic and i now feel as if i have been hit by a few metro cars. but it was filled with me accomplishing things and contributing to the office and showing (myself, at least) that i am an important part of the team and all...so it was a good crazy long day, not a bad one. tomorrow promises to be the same, so i should get shuteye now -- as i will be in the office early again tomorrow morning! i sense a reward for hard work coming on tomorrow evening. oh yeah, wrapworks is gonna be calling my name...hehehehehe

oh -- my first capitol tour was a success -- filled with a few blunders and lots of information and a healthy dash of nerves. but it's done! and i'm sure i have many more tours in my future to finetune things and come off as super savvy tourgide gal...fun times from jenkins' hill, i tell you.

but for now? i curl up with my mug of decaf tea (cinnamon. mmmm. and why is it that i suddenly felt like jewel for a moment there? "he drinks his coffee with sugar and cream, i drink my decaf herbal teeeeeeaaa..."), a copy of people magazine (i know! but it's an occasional guilty pleasure i'm entitled to, dammit! that and i didn't see an issue of entertainment weekly, which i would have preferred. but at least this issue of people has the most amazing picture of colin farrell, who i will admit is no orlando bloom -- but then again, who is? -- but is still mighty, mighty intriguing. it's the badassmamajahamba side. it's gotta be.) and a few (too few!) hours of sleep approaching.

safe journeys to dreamland to each of you...

No comments: