9.10.2002

the timing could not have been better.

yesterday was difficult. i hadn't slept much the night before, i was frustrated by my apparent lack of common sense--one of those inevitable days where things just don't quite work out the way they should. add to that the fact that i've had a little time to be in this new environment and try to start settling in, only to realize that there's no way i can really settle in quite yet: i still don't have things of my own in my room (as they won't be here for another couple of weeks), i don't have a comfort level at my job yet, i'm still placing faces with names and don't have anyone here that i feel completely comfortable yet (how can i? i've only been here a week and a half and have been busy running all over the place). so some homesickness and, yes, some self-pitying crept into my spirits over the course of the day. i made a couple of phone calls on my way from work to union station so i could feel connected to people i care about and planned on calling home after i went running so i could just talk to my parents and cry for a bit. nothing particularly shocking, you see, just something that was due.

so i get home and go running right away (it was gorgeous--it's slowly starting to feel a little cooler in the evenings and i was witness to a technicolor sunset, one that cast rose and amber tones onto the limestone and granite buildings in my neighborhood--lovely), running the farthest since i've been here and feeling better about it--maybe i'll touch base with my inner runner again after all--and actually ran into chloe, who was also out for a run, in my travels. i'd been planning on picking up the mail when i got in, but she beat me to it. when i returned to the apartment, i had three deliveries waiting for me on my desk.

thank you thank you thank you. becca sent me her own special form of care package ("dude, you've got a package! details inside..."), while beth sent an incredibly sweet card that made me feel as if the card makers had the two of us in mind when creating it--so appropriate it's almost frightening! meanwhile, i had a note from the fuck yeah tour waiting for me, as well as some of the munchies to stock up my supplies in the kitchen. to have love and votes of confidence from back home arrive on just the day that i needed them most--it could not have been a better series of surprises. thank you!

i was riding into work yesterday when an attractive guy, probably mid- to later-twenties sat next to me. as i sat there, i instinctively glanced at his left hand. no ring, i thought to myself with a smile. then i realized that, without thinking, i had checked to see if someone i found attractive was married. and i felt incredibly, shockingly old.

random moments.

oh! before i forget: veterans' day weekend. d.c. jack johnson at 9:30 club, 203 reunion--i'm all about it (aboot it), so let's plan for it! very, very excited me.

No comments: