8.29.2004

playing around

status check - creative
background ambiance - olympic closing ceremonies

... This is summer's last stand.

The constant breeze, rustling tree branches and curtains, does little to break the thickly unsettling haze that covers the city. Like thousands o its other uncomfortable residents, I have sprawled out on the couch, directly in front of the an and within arm's reach of a tall bottle of cold water.

My computer sits on the desk, waiting for me to pound out my latest review, but I can't bear to peel off of my resting place. The computer is hot. My desk chair is hot. My mind is melting.

In truth, I'm not in the proper frame of mind to write the review. I was at Jig's last night, where I listened to Tremors, the newest Hot Band to generate any buzz.

Those in the local circles made the funk-fused threepiece sound like the latest Dispatch, but I hadn't seen it. The harmonies were too overpowering, rhythm too unsteady and the lead guitarist had enjoyed too many Jaegar shots before taking the stage.

It won't be a favorable review anyway, but any draft written now would include barbs prompted more by this heat than the band's performance. The HBO gods are giving me an excuse to research instead - "High Fidelity" has just started. I can feel productive without even making my way across the living room to pull the much-loved DVD copy off the shelf. I can just lay here, speaking all the parts while John Cusack's character discusses the importance of Championship Vinyl ...

No comments: