6.17.2001

it has been a day full of images that are lingering in my mind.
this morning, my brother graduated from high school. various family members from all around (including the wonderful aunt ellen and uncle jim, whom i hadn't seen since i'd graduated high school) came up for the event, and i was psyched. afterall, only once does my little brother graduate high school.
sitting there in my spot in the front row, chloe sitting on my lap, i alternated between squirming, a result of the hot, humid air, and staring with amazement at the 35-odd graduates assembled before me. i vividly remember my graduation day, how old i felt. i'd conqured the proctor school system, and at the ripe age of 17, was ready to conquer the world.
now, three years older (at times, perhaps, a little wiser), i'm left baffled. the kids in front of me in their maroon caps and gowns were not adults. they're just little kids--so young and yet preparing to enter the real world, as if they really think they can conquer the world. it's so bizarre to see it from the other side of the spectrum...
so then i hopped on a bus and worked my way down here to massachusetts. at one point, i decided to curl up and nap, but the armrest was digging into my back. pulling random articles of clothing out of my bag to act as cushions, i tried to settle in. closing my eyes, i reopened them to see a little old woman holding out her cushion to me. her back bothered her on the trip up to ludlow, but it wasn't bothering her now, so perhaps it would help me be comfortable, she explained.
i happily accepted the offer, and it worked wonders. before i drifted off to light sleep, she showed me her newest purchase--a little koala hand puppet. essentially, it was a more life-like-looking version of popples from my childhood. she showed me how it curled up into a little ball and then released it from its cocoon, tenderly stroking the artificial fur.
she was so sweet, and brought a smile to my face, but at the same time, it was incredibly sad. here was this lovely older woman, and i had to wonder why she was by herself. she should have a grandkid around, or an older husband--someone. instead, she was making idle conversation with a complete stranger on a bus.
i found out that she was a librarian for twenty years before she retired, and she maintains that "people who read books are nice people." my copy of sylvia plath's unabridged journals apparently meant i was a nice person. i didn't mind.
she left in keene, giving me a smile and a wave goodbye as she exited. her seat was replaced by a twenty-something year old man with short blonde hair. he was an artist, constantly doodling or sketching. i caught glimpses of the television in front of his seat, a random face...he also took out a picture of devo (complete with the lollipop holder hats) and began sketching it. his work fascinated me--made me wish i could do what he seemed to do so easily.
arriving in netwon, i met up with michelle, jess, and nan and headed to foxboro for the show. we got there around 6:45 and lounged in the parking lot. i found that doritos and apple pucker are not a good combination in previously mentioned hot and humid weather. ;-) however, i was all set by the time we headed in.
after finding our seats, dave matthews band took the stage. it was approximately a minute from when we sat to when they began.
the show was amazing. it was a perfect night for a show--the air cooled just enough to make it comfortable, wrapping an individual in a thick blanket of warmth, but not overpowering. a breeze blew hair back and kept the individual cool.
the performance was fantastic--incredible lights flashing amber, indigo, and red, with scenery that oddly resembled the spouts from alliot at school. but, unlike in alliot, here they worked. the band lived up to its reputation, with jams that blew my mind and an obvious mastery of the music and the art of performing.
what got me most, however, was the atmosphere. the audience was such a part of the show--happy, friendly, thrilled to be there. i felt completely comfortable moving along with the music however i felt like. people were friendly and talkative, and everyone was just set to have a great time. so we all did. i was thrilled that michelle and i ran into joe o'leary, one of my favorite fun guys up at school. it was fun to see a familiar face in the sea of strangers.
i hope nan feels better--initially i thought she was succumbing to the apple pucker/doritos demons, but she had a much harder time than i did, having to go out to the car early into the show. she seems like a wonderful girl, i hope things aren't too serious and that she's recovering by tomorrow...
even the trip out of foxboro, which i expected to take forever, was brief--highlighted by michelle screaming, putting the car into park, getting out, and running over to hug mcsherry and tim, whom she finally managed to find after half-searching all day.
i, however, was not quite as fortunate. no run-by lickings were in the cards for me today. c'est la vie.

No comments: