4.12.2006

Since a cold has left my head really foggy and thought about much else leaves me either frustrated, seething or exhausted, I'm going to continue my Red Sox theme.

See, my cousin is preparing for her first Sox game. My parents - saints and otherwise a stellar set of aunt and uncle - will introduce her to all that is Fenway tomorrow night. I had initially hoped to be able to join them, but it wasn't in the cards, so I'll instead take in the game on the television.

Since this is the first Fenway venture for her, however, I'm putting together a little list of things to look for/do/think about while she's there. And while I've come up with some ideas, I thought I'd solicit your advice or suggestions so I have a great little suprise for her tomorrow.

So what are your little Fenway quirks?

Among those I've already included, condensed for this format:
- Fenway Frank (unless vegetarian or vegan, of course). If there's one time, one place all year that you consume a hot dog (and, with the exception of Spike's vegan dogs, this was the case for me last year), it's a Fenway Frank at a Red Sox game.
- Take a second to grin when you first look at the ballpark after you walk up the ramp into the grandstand. I got into a long coversation about this over the weekend, prompted by the cinematography in "Fever Pitch" that so aptly captures the moment. As someone explained to me, "When you walk up the ramp and look around, it's what I imagine Dorothy felt like when she stepped out of the sepia Kansas house and through the doorway into technicolor Munchkinland. And it's like that every single time."
- Walk around Yawkey Way. Take in the sights, the sounds, the smell of the roasted peanuts. Look at the banners along the side of the park and the sight of endless red, white and blue t-shirts and jerseys. This is the event part of the ballgame.
- Learn the words to "Sweet Caroline."
- Look around for Theo. If found, give him my number.
- Watch the vendors as they throw the peanuts across rows of fans. Note the impeccable aim and wonder why they weren't signed by a team. They're that good.
- And, following family tradition, call me during the seventh inning stretch.

So. Anyone up for helping me add to the list? Keep in mind: the girl's about to turn 13. So obviously beer and the like is off the list...heh.

No comments: