12.23.2005

Somewhere in New York's subway system (where I inexplicably found myself with cell phone service), I receieved a phone call from a friend in which he relayed a phone number I was meant to call. A 217 number.

"It'll explain everything," he said as I expressed my utter confusion. Whether the confusion was over the number, the phone call or the fact that my phone was working will remain a question for the ages. "I'm super stoked for you to call it."

I hung up and began to dial, curious about what kind of "everything" this call was going to address. And, just as I dialed the final number...

I woke up. Still dark outside. I nestled back into my pillow and closed my eyes. I was just about to fall back asleep.

Which is, of course, the precise moment when my alarm went off.

So I'm left tired, curious and disgruntled. Because I was given a phone number that promised to explain everything, and I didn't get to find out what everything meant.

And, as Internet research reveals, the phone number that might explain the meaning to life is a number out of Illinois.

Apparently life is much easier to comprehend when you're coming at it with a Decatur point of view.

------
As today launches my weekend of holiday travel - and the fact that it is, after all, Christmas Eve Eve, I wanted to take a moment to wish you and yours happy holidays, whatever holidays those might happen to be. Or even if you don't celebrate holidays. Hey. You're cool. Thanks for reading.

Travel safe if you're traveling, have fun and, for those in snowy regions similiar to my own, keep warm.

And to those in warm climates?

I'm jealous.

Be well and take care.

No comments: